The most important, (and let me tell ya, the most addictive) part of knitting is the yarn. Soft, sumptuous, and sometimes, reasonably affordable. I have went home with a skein simply because of the color and the softness, with no project in mind. She who dies with the most yarn wins!
So, let me first say, you have been warned. Go ahead, clear out a closet now. You’ll eventually want the free space. OK, I may be exaggerating a little. Not everyone uses a whole closet. Anyways, yarn comes in a variety of weights.
Have you ever wanted to knit, but thought:
- I don’t have any talent. And it looks so complicated! I could never do that.
- I don’t have time for that. It looks fun. Even relaxing! But I barely have time to eat, much less knit.
- I don’t have any patience for something like that.
- Knitting does not require talent, and starts out simple. If you want to do more complicated patterns, go ahead. Otherwise, you can keep things simple.
- Knitting is the ultimate portable craft. Small projects, like gloves, socks, hats, scarves, etc, fit in a purse and can make the wait at doctor’s offices go much more quickly. Knitting can be done while watching TV, and at least you have something to show for your time on the couch. It even travels well, whether your on a road trip or earning miles on an air flight.
- Knitting does not take patience. I would say I am the least patient person, and I often say that knitting keeps me from killing someone when I am impatient. I don’t have the patience to wait. Knitting fills in that time, and I stay happy.
So, how do I get started?
Stay tuned for my series on DIY Knitting! This week, I will cover yarns and knitting needles – the basic items needed to start knitting. Then, next week, I’ll post a simple pattern, and teach you to start the project. By the end of September, you will be knitting and have a finished item to show for it! Are you ready?
So I have finished the 1st chart & will start into the unexplored frontier of nupps in chart 2. Here’s my progress so far:
I will be using red iridescent beads as well. We’ll see how it goes.